San Andreas

San Andreas was settled by Mexican Gold Miners in 1848. By 1850 over 1000 tents dotted the hillsides. The first church, built in 1852 was a canvas structure with a simple cross over the door designating it a church of the Roman Catholic faith. It was named for St. Andrew San Andreas and the name of the town was taken from this … [Read more...]

Mokelumne Hill

Founded in 1848, Moke Hill, as the locals call it, was among the richest of the digs. Claims in some areas were confined to sixteen square feet and many fortunes were made. It was the county seat in the early days and, although it held no exclusive rights, it was known as one of the most violent, bawdy towns in the Mother Lode. … [Read more...]

Dinkelspiel Store

Built in the 1850s, this 3000 square foot building in the tiny community of Vallecito is a great example of Gold Rush architecture. Still a fully-functional building with concrete slab floors, wood ceilings, wood masonry walls, and, of course, iron shutter doors. Historic Mother Lode store building, the 3016 square foot, … [Read more...]